|Volunteer Opportunities - The Rewards of Giving
Do you have a passion for helping others? Do you have the motivation to lend a hand and contribute to your community? If yes, then we are looking for dedicated and committed people like you! We invite you to become a volunteer at RWJ Hamilton, where you will have the opportunity to give of yourself and experience the rewards of self-satisfaction and fulfillment when helping others.
So, if being active in your community and assisting others appeals to you, please consider joining our volunteer family and become one of RWJ Hamilton's most valuable resources.
Volunteering is good for your health.
Opportunities are currently available for volunteers in the service areas detailed below for the days and times listed. Applications are only available to those individuals who can make an overall time commitment of four hours weekly for a minimum of one year
- Central Sterile Supply Runners - Deliver surgical equipment to the operating rooms and patient care equipment to the nursing units. Must be comfortable with periods of walking and standing. Volunteer shifts are available to choose from Monday through Friday, 7:30 am to 11:30 am. Training is provided.
- Emergency Department - Ideal for nursing student or biology major / pre-med student - Position requires exceptional "people" skills and a desire to help. Round on patients, providing comfort and keeping patients and families informed. Tidy treatment areas, restock supplies at bedside, refill glove boxes, refill blanket warmer, monitor linen cart, department errands to lab, wheelchair / stretcher transport, assist with navigation of guests to various areas of the hospital. Various positions available to choose from 3 pm to 8 pm weekdays
- **Gift Shop** - Popular assignment with volunteers. Customer service interactions with patients, visitors and staff who are in the market to purchase balloons, stuffed animals, flowers, plants, candy, magazines, books, cards and an assortment of other gift ideas. We even sell Lottery! If you like people, enjoy customer service and are friendly and caring, please share your "million dollar smile" with us. Various openings are available Monday through Friday 9 am to 7:30 pm and weekends 10 am to 2 pm.
- **Information Desk - Hospital Entrances (Main and Lakefront Tower Entrance)** - Front line volunteer position most suitable for an applicant with an outgoing demeanor. Responsible for welcoming patients, visitors and guests to the hospital, assisting them with destination information and directing them to the Patient / Family Navigator for escort. Should possess a strong desire to provide customer service, ability to use computers for patient look up and assist callers with patient information telephone lines. Several opportunities are available 8 am to noon; noon to 4 pm; 4 pm to 8 pm. Training will be provided.
- Materials Management - Very active volunteer position requiring the delivery of supplies and packages throughout hospital. Opportunities are available Tuesday and Friday mornings with shifts available from 8 am to noon. Must be able to push carts and be comfortable with periods of walking and standing. Training will be provided.
- **Patient / Family Navigator(s) - Main Information Desk**- Front line position requiring strong customer service abilities with an outgoing deameanor ... kindness, helpfulness, "chivalry". Assist / escort outpatients to surgical waiting rooms and facilitate patient check-in process; escort outpatients to testing sites, assist visitors to patient rooms and guests to hospital departments. Deliver flowers to patient rooms / hospital departments. Position involves 4 hour periods of standing and walking with occasional pushing of wheelchairs. A willingness to cross train for the information desk is most desirable. Several opportunities are available to choose from - Mondays noon to 4 pm; Wednesdays 8 am to noon; Thursdays 8 am to noon; Fridays 8 am to noon. Training will be provided.
- **Patient / Family Navigator(s) - Outpatient Services** - Highly visible position requiring strong customer service abilities with an outgoing demeanor ... kindness, helpfulness, "chivalry". Greet and direct outpatients to testing sites. Some wheelchair pushing is involved. Must be comfortable with periods of standing, walking and pushing. Training is provided. Several opportunities are available to choose from Monday through Friday mornings ... 7:30 am or 8 am to noon. Afternoon opportunities are also available Monday through Friday from noon to 4 pm.
- Patient Transport - Great opportunity to be of assistance to patients and clinical staff. Assist with wheelchair and stretcher transport of patients to and from the emergency room to testing sites. Must be comfortable with periods of walking, standing and pushing and have strong "people" skills and customer service abilities. Training is provided. Openings: Tuesday evening 4 pm to 8 pm; Wednesday evening 4 pm to 8 pm; Friday evening 4 pm to 8 pm.
- Reception / Front Desk - Cancer Institute of New Jersey Hamilton - Welcome patients and family members; Assist and direct first time patients. The waiting room has a warm and cozy "living room" atmosphere. This volunteer position would be ideal for applicant with a warm and welcoming demeanor and who enjoys reading or crocheting / knitting. Morning shifts available on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
- **Surgery North Waiting Room** - A volunteer presence is requested at Surgery North check-in to serve as liaison between nursing staff, physicians and patients / families. Escort family members from Surgery North check-in to the waiting room. Orient the family members to elevators, stairs, restrooms, gift shop and hospital cafeteria. Escort family members from waiting room back to Surgery North when called. Assist hospital visitors with wayfinding. Openings are available on Tuesday mornings 8 am to noon.
- RWJ Hamilton Auxiliary - The Auxiliary works with the RWJ Hamilton Foundation and provides vital financial support to the hospital with its annual monetary gift which is raised from various fundraisers and events. Membership is required with annual dues of $12. Members of the RWJ Hamilton Auxiliary are eligible to volunteer in the hospital gift shop. In addition to fundraising events and activities, some of the members of the Auxiliary meet the third Friday of the month for lunch to craft soft, cuddly teddy bears for pediatric patients of the Emergency Department.
- Bedside Harp® - Volunteer internships are available at RWJ Hamilton through Bedside Harp® after completion of instructional folk harp classes, therapy training and certification. To learn more, visit www.bedsideharp.com or call 609.273.0068. All classes are held at RWJ Hamilton Center for Health & Wellness.
- Pet Therapy - Volunteer opportunities are available for certified pet therapy dogs and handlers.
- Reiki - Minimum requirement - Level II Reiki certification. Copy of certificate is required.
For information on how to become an adult volunteer, contact the volunteer office at 609.631.6981 to arrange for an application. Once processed, an interview will be scheduled with the volunteer manager to discuss your interests and possible volunteer assignments.
College Students - Year Round Commitment
At this time, applications are only available for those college students who can make a year-round commitment to our organization. You may request an application by calling 609-631-6981. Appropriate positions for consideration are Central Sterile Supply Runner, Emergency Dept. (filled for the summer), Physical Therapy and/or Patient Transport. Refer to position descriptions above. Unfortunately, shadowing is not permitted at RWJ Hamilton. Internships for college credit are not available through the volunteer office.
Junior Application Packet.pdf
COMMITMENT TO COMMUNITY
The most extensive community education program in New Jersey.